It has been over a year since my last batch of laundry soap, and I really enjoy using homemade, but wasn't thrilled by the smell of fels-naptha so I bought some lye soap from my favorite soap/bath store, and used it instead. www.livingsimplysoap.com Upon mentioned what purpose I had for purchasing the Lye soap, they recommended the one without additives (to keep it white) and pulled it out from a closet. I was glad it was an option for me to purchase and glad I asked a few questions about recipe and what not to be able to keep it a pure as possible.
I got the recipe from the frugal girls web site, and have been using it for quite some time.
Based on the different amounts of the two kinds of soap it mentioned I figured two ounces of lye soap should suffice. You just grate up the soap, or use a food processor to chop and blend all of the powders together. Being the first time making with this soap I think it is a bit wet, and would pack less if it was allowed to cure a bit more, or left over night after grating to dry more before mixing to keep it from clumping. It was much softer and easier to grate, using my microplane zester/grater.
On to the laundry room to use the newly mixed creation. When we move to the farm house it will be a bonus to hang the laundry on the line as I was reading that the sun helps brighten the laundry when using lye.
No comments:
Post a Comment